I was digging through some old copies of Emergency Management Magazine and ran across an article on social media in the July-August Edition You will have to dig for it since there are no individual links to articles (page 40-41). I don't think I've blogged on it.
There is a list of ten steps for succeeding with social media. I think these are a good place to start if you are just doing that "starting" or if you have done a little and want to check to see if you are "on course" the list might help with that too. See below:
- Establish goals and create a plan to achieve them.
- Create policies to protect your organization and employees.
- Develop a calendar and strategy for social media content.
- Develop accounts for your organization to support.
- Develop a social media "voice" that is genuine and respectful.
- Establish workflows including triaging and crisis response.
- Identify emergency staffing to support social media messaging during an emergency.
- Train your staff an prepared your administration.
- Ask for guidance from other professionals.
- Review and repeat steps one through nine on an annual basis.