New York City Deputy OEM Commissioner
This is a senior position which I'm assuming reports to Joe Brunno, OEM Commissioner
If you are not a senior emergency management leader, looking for a change and willing to take on responsibilities for the largest city in the United States--this could be your new job. My only hesitation for someone coming in from the outside is that my guess is they want someone very familiar with NYC. Operations by its nature is a very hands-on job and it would be hard for an outsider to come in and be immediately effective in a position like this.
NYC OFFICE OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
Civil Service Title: DEPUTY COMMISSIONER, OEM
Title Code No.: 06764
Salary Range: $60,036 - $149,000
Office Title: DEPUTY COMMISSIONER FOR OPERATIONS
Division/Work Unit: OPERATIONS
Work Location: 165 CADMAN PLAZA EAST BROOKLYN, NY 11201
Number of Positions: 1
The Deputy Commissioner of Operations will oversee all of the agency's interagency coordination activities that pertain to field operations and emergency communications and notifications. The incumbent will supervise a professional staff including the Field Operations, Watch Command and Notify NYC units of the agency. Collectively, these units perform emergency field response, on scene interagency coordination & oversight of Citywide Incident Management System (CIMS) implementation, emergency & interoperable communications, interagency and public notifications, meteorological coordination & notification, logistics support and coordination, and mobile field command post operations during major emergency incidents.
The Deputy Commissioner of Operations will advise the Commissioner on all potential and/or actual emergency incidents impacting the City of New York interests, and will interact with senior management and operations staff at all local, state and federal agencies, the private sector, public authorities and non-profit organizations involved in emergency response activities for the City of New York and the greater metropolitan New York area.
The Deputy Commissioner of Operations may be required to routinely interact with the media during or in relation to response operations.
The selected candidate will be expected to work non-business hours during emergencies.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and four years of satisfactory, full-time experience of a nature to qualify for the duties of the position, at least 18 months of which must have been in an administrative, managerial or executive capacity or supervising personnel performing activities related to the duties of the position; or
2. Education and/or experience equivalent, however, all candidates must have the 18 months of administrative, managerial, executive or supervisory experience as described in "1" above.
NYC RESIDENCY REQUIRED WITHIN 90 DAYS OF HIRE
• Graduate degree in Emergency Management, Public Administration, Public Health, Urban Planning, Management Science, Operations Research or a related field.
• Proven managerial ability including 5-10 years experience managing a major division of an emergency management agency or in the first responder/emergency management field. Significant experience in an executive or supervisory capacity in the execution of related professional written plans and an in depth understanding of, and experience applying the concepts, theories, principles and practices of emergency management, public health, human services, recovery and mitigation, planning, engineering, and public policy.
• Outstanding written and oral communications skills including the ability to represent the agency and the Commissioner at the most senior levels and the ability to coordinate multiple agency objectives in the areas of homeland security, public health, and law enforcement. Existing security clearance is beneficial. Published work in the field of emergency management or a related field is preferred.
• Complete familiarity with the Incident Command System as it is now encompassed in the training criteria of the federal department of Homeland Security.
TO APPLY, PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME AND COVER LETTER WITH THE JVN NUMBER TO:
Mailing Address: 165 CADMAN PLAZA EAST BROOKLYN, NY 11201
E-Mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: ONLY THOSE CANDIDATES UNDER CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED.